We spend more time interacting with colleagues at the workplace than at home or with family and friends, hence it is important to create a more pleasant working environment for ourselves. We can all be gracious to each other in simple ways that cost us nothing in terms of money or even time. Here are some kindness tips to put the 3 pillars of graciousness – consideration, courtesy & gratitude – into action in the workplace.
• Waiting for the lift? Don’t stand in front of the door. People are happier when they don’t have to push their way out.
• Hold the lift for others. You know, not having to wait for the next lift can make a difference to your colleague if they are late.
• It’s perfect time for a break if you’re in the office. Why not surprise a busy colleague by grabbing an extra coffee from the pantry?
• Say thank you to the cleaner who cleans and clears your work space. It may be their job, but it’s always nice to be appreciated.
• Flush! No toilet would smell good if everyone thinks it’s pointless to flush.
You can join your colleagues in taking these simple small steps – not just to be a practice leader and an example to other workplaces, but more significantly, for ourselves… to make your daily interactions more gracious and your own workplace more pleasant!